School FAQs

Are all your English teachers native-level speakers?

Yes and they hold an EFL qualification and/or have qualified teacher status.

What English teaching methods do you use?

We follow a communicative methodology with special emphasis on improving the student’s oral ability. Grammar and the four skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening are all covered.

What examinations do you offer?

There are no formal examinations at the end of the course. We can arrange private tuition towards the Trinity GESE on request.

Will the student get a Certificate at the end of the course?

Each student has a report sent home which gives information on their progress and involvement in the recreational programme.  Students are also awarded with a certificate at the “Graduation Ceremony” held at the end of the course.

Can we assist in getting visas for students?

Yes, we are a registered sponsor with UK Visas and Immigration, formerly the UK Border Agency. Our letter of acceptance will support an application for a visa. We can write further letters of support if required.

Do the College arrange transfers?

Yes, in line with our Terms and Conditions – please see our Airport Transfers page for full details.

Do you arrange any other activities apart from studying?

Yes – we have varied leisure and social programme.  Students will need to register for some of these activities as places will be limited for some activities.  There may also be a refundable deposit (on attendance) or small charge for some of these activities.

What type of accommodation do you offer?

Students are accommodated in single gender boarding residences on campus.  Our bedrooms are single with older students having en suite bathroom facilities and younger students sharing bathroom facilities with a maximum of 4 other students.

Do you cater for special dietary requirements?

Yes, we are able to cater for special diets provided we have been made aware of the requirement.  All our meals are marked with any known allergies so students can make an informed choice when selecting their food.

Do I need to supply my own bedding or towels?

We supply all bed linen and this is changed on a weekly basis.  You will need to provide your own towels which are also cleaned on a weekly basis.

What should I pack?

Holiday/summer wear, including a light rain jacket and a jumper for cooler days/evening.  Comfortable footwear for walking and plenty of sportswear including swimming costume and trainers.  You will also need towels and shampoo/soap/toothbrush/toothpaste.  There is a laundry service once a week and clothes are cleaned and returned on the same day so you only need to have enough clothes for just over one week.

Is there a deadline to book a place?

There is no deadline to book a place.  We will accept bookings as long as there is a place available for your age/gender/nationality. You should also consider the time required to obtain a visa (if needed).  We recommend early booking as places do fill quickly.

Does the College have a medical insurance scheme?

No. We strongly recommend medical (holiday) insurance is arranged in the country of residence to cover non-emergency treatment or repatriation, eg an air ambulance.

Does the College arrange insurance of personal belongings?

No – the College does not insure against damage or loss of student’s personal belongings. Parents should make their own arrangements regarding travel insurance.  The College cannot be held responsible for any damage or loss of personal belonging.

What if I have to cancel my application?

You can see our full Cancellation Policy in our Terms and Conditions, in summary:

45 days or more prior to the course start date

  • All fees will be refunded less the deposit payment and admin charge (500 GBP + 150 GBP), or
  • All fees (less 150 GBP admin charge) can be transferred towards another course for the same student the follow year

0-44 day prior to course start date:

  • No refund will be made

If cancellation is due to a visa refusal and, if evidence is provided of the visa refusal and the application was made in plenty of time, all fees will be refunded less the deposit payment and admin charge (500 GBP + 150 GBP)

Can I request specific accommodation for my son/daughter or can they share with a friend?

You can make a request to the Summer Course office which will be noted.  Our accommodation is strictly separated by boys and girls and ages.  We have a very limited number of double rooms but will try to place friends in the same residence and corridor if they are of the same gender and similar age.  Accommodation requests cannot be accepted less than 8 weeks prior to the course start date.