All students who normally reside outside the UK are required to have a UK-based guardian over the age of 25 and not in full-time education. Guardians should be able to provide accommodation for you if you need to stay in the UK during the holidays when Concord is closed, or need to stay in the UK away from the College for any reason. (see the Frequently Asked Questions below). You may choose a guardian who is known to you already, or appoint a guardian from an accredited guardianship agency or organisation.

Unlike many schools, Concord remains open during some holiday periods, and you may not need to stay with your guardian during every holiday. We can also help you to arrange airport coach transfers, though your guardian will also be able to help you arrange transport to visit them.

A Educational Guardianship Form needs to be completed for each student. We will not issue a ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’ (CAS) number for visa applications until we have received this form.

Additional information and advice on guardianship can be found via AEGIS (The Association for the Education and Guardianship of International Students), an organisation that inspects and accredits guardianship providers in the UK and works to promote the welfare of international students. Please see their website for further information which includes a list of AEGIS-accredited guardianship organisations.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to go to stay with my guardian during every college holiday?

No. All students can choose to stay at Concord during Half Terms, and students in Forms 5, 6.1 and 6.2 can choose to stay during Easter. Residential holiday charges apply (though please note that there is no additional charge for students who stay at Concord for the short Summer Half Term). We do not have whole-college exeat weekends, but we are closed for all main-term students during the Christmas and Summer vacations. All students who do not travel home would need to stay with their UK guardian during the Christmas and Summer vacations.

Will my guardian arrange transport to the airport?

No – we can help you with this. When you do stay with your guardian, however, they will arrange transport for you to go and visit them.

I have a relative who lives in the UK. Can they act as my guardian?

Yes – as long as they are over the age of 25 and not in full-time education. There are no exceptions to this rule, however.

Do I still need a guardian if I am over the age of 18?

Yes – all students need a guardian for the entirety of their time at Concord.

I plan to travel home whenever the College isn’t open for boarders. Do I still need a guardian?

Yes. Occasionally, there may be circumstances when you are unable to travel home (due to changing international travel restrictions, for example), or need to spend a short time away from Concord during term-time (due to suspension for disciplinary reasons, for example).

Can my guardian attend Parents’ Meetings?

We do not currently run in-person parents’ meetings for international students, but we do provide parents and guardians (with permission) with weekly updates on their child’s grades. On occasions, it might be useful for a guardian to come to the College to speak with academic staff about a student’s progress.

Can you recommend any guardianship agencies?

If you are choosing an agency, it must be accredited by AEGIS or the Boarding Schools’ Association (BSA). Different agencies offer different packages – for example, some include all home stays as part of the overall cost, while some add this as an extra. We recommend that you select an accredited provider that offers you the level of package that you require for your child’s individual circumstances.